Here’s a recipe for the Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes. Moist, crumbly & decadent, these will surely be a hit with your family and friends.
What we have here is something special. If you are looking for the best chocolate cupcake recipe, the ultimate chocolate cupcake recipe or a simple and easy chocolate cupcake recipe then look no further, this recipe is definitely a keeper. It’s a actually a variation of the Perfectly Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe from a few years back with a few refinements –
- I added coffee powder in the recipe to bring out the chocolate flavor even more.
- Yoghurt was also another addition to up the moistness of the cupcakes.
Of course, the secret ingredient mayonnaise can not be left behind. I know you probably have a lot of questions on this recipe so I think this Frequently Asked Questions about the recipe will be very helpful. You’re welcome. And oh my, these cupcakes definitely did not disappoint. It’s so easy to make, it’s almost foolproof. If you’re just starting out baking, this is the recipe for you. It’s so moist it melts the moment it reaches your mouth. And of course, so chocolate-y, the chocolate lover in you will rejoice. Have I convinced you enough? Here’s the recipe – First things first, let’s assemble Team Dry Ingredients (TDI) – flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and coffee powder. The we assemble Team Wet Ingredients (TWI) – water and yoghurt. Don’t want to use yoghurt? Specifically for this recipe, you can substitute it with water, milk, sour cream or yakult. In a big bowl, mix mayonnaise, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add a third of the flour mixture to the mayonnaise mixture Add 1/2 of the water/yoghurt mixture. Repeat last two steps until the flour mixture and water/yohgurt has been added to the mayonnaise mixture. Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners, the batter will make 22 cupcakes. Fill each 3oz sized cupcake liners with 1/4 cup batter. Bake for 12-15 minutes fat 350F. To make the frosting, melt the unsweetened chocolate, let it cool. Mix together butter, vanilla extract and melted unsweetend chocolate. Sift the powdered sugar and add to the butter mixture slowly. Totally optional but totally required for me, drizzle chocolate syrup over piped cupcakes and top with chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp coffee powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 yoghurt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the icing:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 5 pieces/tablets unsweetened Malagos unsweetened chocolate
- Chocolate syrup (optional)
- Chocolate sprinkles (optional)
- Chocolate chips (optional)
- Sift together all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and coffee. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix water and yoghurt. Also set aside.
- In a big bowl,mix mayonnaise, sugar and vanilla until smooth
- Add a third of the flour mixture to the mayonnaise mixture
- Add 1/2 of the water/yoghurt mixture.
- Repeat last two steps until the flour mixture and water/yohgurt has been added to the mayonnaise mixture.
- Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners, the batter will make 22 cupcakes. Fill each 3oz sized cupcake liners with 1/4 cup batter.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes fat 350F.
- To make the frosting, melt the unsweetened chocolate, let it cool. Mix together butter, vanilla extract and melted unsweetend chocolate. Sift the powdered sugar and add to the butter mixture slowly.
- (Optional) To decorate, drizzle chocolate syrup and top with chocolate chips and sprinkles.