5, 0 and 3. These three numbers totally changed what I know about Pineapple Upside Down Cakes.
(1) Melt butter in a small saucepan. Let it cool. Once cooled down, pour into a 12-inch round baking pan. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the butter.
(2) Arrange the pineapple slices and the cherries on top of the brown sugar/butter. Be as creative as you can be. Me? I’m sticking to how my Ma taught me 🙂 Classic.
(3) In a medium sized bowl, sift / dry whisk together all dry ingredients – flour and baking powder.
(4) In separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Set aside.
(5) In another bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until creamy.
(6) Add pineapple juice and the vanilla extract.
(7) Then add the dry ingredients.
(8) Fold in the egg whites into the into the egg yolk mixture until you have something like this.
(9) Pour batter into the pan and bake at 350F for 40 minutes or until done.
Thank you, Auntie Fely for this wonderful recipe.