- One of Oprah’s favorite things
- Awarded the Best Brownie Honors by America’s Test Kitchen
- Featured in The Today Show
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder
11 ounces (311.7g) dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup (8 ouces) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
1½ cups granulated sugar
½ cup packed light brown sugar
5 eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
(1) Melt together butter, dark chocolate and coffee powder in a pan set over a saucepan with simmering water.
(2) Once melted turn off the heat and add white and brown sugar.
(3) Mix until completely combined. Bring the mixture to room temperature.
(4) In the meantime, line your baking pan with Cut Rite or Parchment Paper. The book requires a 9×13 inches pan but I don’t have one. The nearest was a 9×12. That should do 🙂
(5) In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, salt and cocoa powder. Sift or dry whisk and set aside.
(6) Once the chocolate mixture has cooled to room temperature. Add 3 eggs. Whisk until just combined, no streaks of eggs left. Then add the remaining 2 eggs. Add in the vanilla extract.
(7) Sprinkle the dry ingredients over the chocolate mixture. Fold using a spatula (do not use a whisk) only until combined.
(8) Spread evenly on the pan and bake for 30 minutes. Make sure to rotate the pan halfway through the baking time.