So, before I do nothing, I thought I’d show you how I made these cupcake toppers. Still on “bag mode”. They’re so fun to make, so fun to gush over and so fun to dissect and eat. Scrap the “dissect and eat” part. It sounds gross. Here’s how –
Fondant in ivory and white
Stitching tool (or toothpick or knife)
Brush and water
- 4.5 x 2.5 cm
- 4.5 x 3.5 cm
- 4.5 x 1 cm
- 3.5 x 1 cm
(1) Roll ivory fondant into a ball, then shape it into a Toblerone-esque shape. This will be the base structure of the bag.
(2) Make sure base of of the “Toblerone” will measure 4.5 x 1 cm.
(3) Roll out remaining ivory fondant (leave a small piece for the bag handle later). I mentioned a place mat with textured design as an optional tool because I used it to create texture onto the rolled fondant. I bought my place mat at Landmark for only 50 bucks. Pretty cheap for such an unconventional use 🙂
(4) Cut out –
- 2 – 4.5 x 3.5 cm (this will be the front and back of the bag) optional to run the stitching tool through the right and left sides.
- 1 – 4.5 x 2.5 cm (this will be the cover/overlap of the bag
- 2 – 3.5 x 1 cm (this will be the sides of the bag)
(5) To assemble, attach the back and front sides to the “Toblerone”
(6) Pinch one end of the 3.5 x 1 cm and attach it to one side of the bag with the pinched side on the top. Cut off excess. Do the same to the other side.
(7) Now, on to the 4.5 x 2.5 cm which will serve as the overlap/cover, cut 2 ends and run through the stitching tool on the border.
(8) Attach the overlap/cover to the bag. Attach a slim strip of textured rolled fondant at the front as well.
(9) Attach the handle.
Now now now, that wasn’t so hard was it? Totally a piece of cake! Err… cupcake I mean. This bag is very versatile, you can change the color to your liking or even the dimensions. You can make it bigger to be a cake topper instead. Or add floral details. Or add a edible fondant scarf wrapped on one end of the handle. So fab!
I enjoyed doing these fashionista themed toppers! So cool to see these miniature versions! Do you want more? I’m thinking of doing one more tutorial on bags before moving on to other stuff. What do you think?