adapted from The Whimsical Bakehouse: Fun-to-Make Cakes That Taste as Good as They Look
8 ounces unsalted butter
100 g Lindt Chili
240 g semi sweet chocolate
1 tsp chili powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
5 large eggs1 cup sugar (divided into two)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1. Grease and flour one 9X2 inch round pan and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper. Pre-heat oven to 350F
2. Combine butter, chocolate, cocoa and chili in a heatproof bowl placed over hot water. Stir until melted then cool 5 to 10 minutes.
3. In a bowl of an electric mixer at high speed, use a whisk attachment to beat the eggs, 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla extract.
4. Continue beating until triple in volume and the batter forms a ribbon when the beaters are lifted.
5. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat 1/2 cup sugar and corn syrup to a boil.
6. Remove from heat and slowly beat the hot syrup into the eggs with the mixer a slow speed. 7.
7. Beat at medium speed for about 8 minutes, then decrease the speed to low and beat in half of the chocolate mixture. Before it is fully inforporated, take the whisk attachment and fold in the remaining chocolate by hand.
8. Pour batter into the pan. Place pan in a larger pan and fill the larger pan halfway with hot water.
9. Bake for 40 minutes. Cool the cake in the wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes then turn it out of the pan onto a cake round. Chill before serving.