Last week, I made an almost flourless cake. It was so yummy but the texture was not the same as the flourless chocolate cake I tasted at The Market.
So this week, I tried another recipe. I found one at howdini.com. Chef Ceci Carmichael seems to have the recipe I’m looking for. And it only has five ingredients, cocoa powder, bittersweet chocolate bars, sugar, egg and butter. How simple is that?!
I have to say, this version of the fourless chocolate cake is for “adults only”. Nothing naughty here guys! Its just that it isn’t as sweet as I expected it to be. Next time I try this recipe, I’ll probably replace unsweetened cocoa powder with a sweetened one and the bittersweet chocolate bar with milk chocolate. Let’s see how that one will turn out. But it would probably be awhile if I ever tested this recipe again. I’m trying to revive my Pinoy cupcakes series. Hopefully starting next week. If I get all the needed ingredients. Fingers crossed.
Here’s Chef’s Ceci’s version. I just modified it to fit my little cupcake liners.
(1) Melt 2 sticks (1 cup) butter and 8 ounces of bittersweet chocolate in saucepan over low heat.
(2) While butter and chocolate are melting, mix dry ingredients together – 1 1/2 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 cup granulated sugar.
(3) Add eggs to dry ingredients and wisk together. (You can add the eggs all at once.)When the butter/chocolate mix has cooled enough to ensure that its heat won’t scramble the eggs in you dry ingredients/egg mix, temper the butter/chocolate mix into the dry ingredients/egg mix and wisk the two together until they are completely blended.
(4) Cut a piece of wax or parchment paper to fit the size of your springform baking pan, and lightly butter it
(5) Place it into the baking pan, buttered side up, and pour the cake mix into the pan.Place into a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Don’t overbake it!Remove from oven, allow to cool and remove from the baking pan. Place on a serving plate.
From the looks of it, the cupcake can stand on its own with just a dust of powdered sugar. It’s just that I don’t know when to stop!!! Here I was thinking I have to whip a cup of heavy cream to frost the cupcakes. I shouldn’t have done it since it backfired. Whipped cream curdled just as I was about to stop and pipe it. See? It completely sucks!!! Good thing I have one good cupcake left to frost and take a picture of.
Why Blair and Nate? In preparation for Gossip Girl’s Season Three coming this September of course! You know you love me, xoxo…